Saturday, March 7, 2009

EDM 310 Fall 2008 Podcasts

The first podcast that I listened to was a podcast by Erica Sledge, Ashley Cleveland, and Shyane Fant. To listen to this podcast you can use this link: Useful Internet Sites for Elementary Teachers by Erica Sledge, Ashley Cleveland, and Shyane Fant. The topic of this podcast was "Pick of the Day: Useful Internet Sites for Elementary Teachers." During this podcast, these ladies discussed three different websites. The first website that they discussed was http://its.leesummit.k12.mo.us/. According to Ashley, this website helps teachers to learn how to incorporate technology in their classroom and in their curriculum. Erica discussed the ALEX website. She discussed the different web links on the ALEX website, the lesson plans, and the distance learning feature. Last, Shyane talked about the http://www.teachers.net/ website. She liked the site because this site had ideas for all teachers whether it be an elementary teacher, secondary education teacher, or a physical education teacher. I believe that these girls did a great job explaining each of the three websites that they discussed. The only problems that I really noticed in the podcasts were the numerous uhh's and umm's. This probably just came from nervousness, so with more practice I believe these girls could have done a wonderful job.

The second podcast I listened to was a podcast by Tomeka Washington, Rosilyn Harris, and Marlena Marsh. To listen to this podcast you can use this link: Useful Internet Sites for Elementary Teachers by Tomeka Washington, Rosilyn Harris, and Marlena Marsh. The topic of this podcast was also "Pick of the Day: Useful Internet Sites for Elementary Teachers." Marlena first discussed http://www.rainforestmaths.com/. According to Marlena, this website allows students to learn math while also having the fun rain forest background. The next website discussed was the Alabama Virtual Library website. According to these ladies, this website can be used to search various subjects such as animals, plants, people, geography, science, math, etc. Another website these ladies discussed was http://www.brainpopjunior.com/. This website is a source for children grades kindergarten through third. This website covers subjects such as science, math, social studies, reading, health, and writing. Again, I think that these girls did a good job at covering the topic that was assigned to them. Problems that I noticed in this podcast were also the uhh's and umm's and also relatively long pauses in between some sentences.

Because I am also doing my podcast on "Useful Internet Sites for Elementary Teachers," I felt that listening to these blogs really helped me to better understand what I was expected to do. By listening to these podcasts, I noticed how nervous these girls were with the numerous uhh's and umm's, so I feel like the best thing that I can do to improve my podcast is to practice. Another thing that I feel like I need to do to improve my podcast is to give more credit to the used websites. I noticed that when these girls discussed these websites they really did not mention the name of the website very often. When recording my blog, I am going to try to make a point to mention the name of the website after every couple of sentences. The only other thing that I really noticed was the background noise. When these girls were shuffling their papers, the microphone picked up the noise, so when I record my blog I am going to try to lay my papers out so that I will not have to shuffle from page to page.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Briana. I look forward to hearing your podcast tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job on your podcast in class.

    ReplyDelete